Translation by Bartholomae, from I.J.S. Taraporewala, The
Divine Songs of Zarathushtra.
Notes in square brackets  were added by JHP.
- The good, the precious Dominion, as a most surpassing portion,
shall Right achieve for him that with zeal accomplishes what is
best through his actions, O Mazda. This will I now work out for
- Before all, O Mazda Ahura, assure me the Dominion of your
possession, O Right, and what is thine, O Piety. Your (Dominion)
of blessing give through Good Thought to him that prays.
- Let your ears attend to those who in their deeds and utterances
hold to your words, Ahura and Right, to those of Good Thought,
for whom thou, Mazda, art the first teacher.
- Where is the recompense for wrong to be found, where pardon
for the same? Where shall they attain the Right? Where is the
holy Piety, where Best Thought? Thy Dominions, where are they,
- All this (I) ask, whether the husbandman shall find cattle
in accordance with Right, he that is perfect in action, a man
of understanding, when he prays to him, who hath promised unto
the Wise the true Judge, in that he is Lord of the two destinies...
- Even he, Ahura Mazda, who through his Dominion appoints what
is better than good to him that is attached to his will, but what
is worse than evil to him that obeys him not, at the last end
- Give me, O thou that didst create the Ox and Waters and Plants,
Welfare and Immortality, by the Highest Spirit, O Mazda, strength
and continuance through Good Thought at the (Judge's) sentence.
- Of these two things will I speak, O Mazda, - for one may speak
to the wise, - the ill that is threatened to the Liar, and the
happiness of him who clings to the Right. For he, the Prophet,
is glad of every one who says this to the wise.
- What recompense thou wilt give to the two parties by thy red
Fire, by the molten metal, give us a sign of it in our souls -
even the bringing of ruin to the Liar, of blessing to the Righteous.
- Whoso, other than this one, seeks to kill me, Mazda, he is
a son of the Lie's creation, ill-willed thus towards all that
live. I call the Right to come to me with good destiny.
- What man is friend to Spitama Zarathushtra, O Mazda? Who will
let himself be counseled by Right? With whom is holy Piety? Or
who as an upright man is intent on the brotherhood of Good Thought?
- The Kavi's wanton did not please Zarathushtra Spitama at the
Winter Gate, in that he stayed him from taking refuge with him,
and when there came to him also (Zarathushtra's) two steeds shivering
- Thus the Self of the Liar destroys for himself the assurance
of the right Way; whose soul shall tremble at the Revelation on
the Bridge of the Separator, having turned aside with deeds and
tongue from the Path of Right.
- The Karapans will not obey the statutes and ordinances concerning
husbandry. For the pain they inflict upon the cattle, fulfill
upon them through their actions and judgments that judgment which
at the last shall bring them to the House of the Lie.
- When Zarathushtra hath promised to the men of his brotherhood,
(which) in the House of Song Ahura Mazda hath first attained,
for all this I have looked through your blessings, Good Thought,
and those of Right.
- Kavi Vishtaspa hath the creed which the holy Mazda Ahura with
Right hath devised, together with the dominion of the Brotherhood,
and the path of Good Thought. So be it accomplished after our
- The fair form of one that is dear hath Frashaoshtra Hvogva
promised unto me: may sovereign Mazda Ahura grant that she attain
possession of the Right for her good Self.
- This creed Jamaspa Hvogva chooses through Right, lordly in
substance. This Dominion they (choose) who have part in Good Thought.
This grant me, Ahura, that they may find in thee, Mazda, their
- The man himself, O Maidyoi-Maungha Spitama, hath set this
before him after conceiving it in his own self. He that would
see life indeed, to him will he make known what in actions by
Mazda's ordinance is better during (this) existence.
- Your blessings shall ye give us, all that are one in will,
with whom Right, Good Thought, Piety, and Mazda (are one) according
to promise, giving your aid when worshipped with reverence.
- By Piety the man becomes Holy. Such person advances Right
through his thinking, his words, his action, his Self. By Good
Thought Mazda Ahura will give the Dominion. For this good Destiny
- He, I ween, that Mazda Ahura knoweth among all that have been
and are, as one to whom in accordance with Right the best portion
falls for his prayer, these will I reverence by their own names
and go before them with honor.